“The best chicken soup recipes are valued for their healing properties”, advises contributor Dr. Brett Ferdinand. “No scientific evidence exists that proves chicken soup will get you over a cold more quickly. But some believe that any hot soup, broth or drink will accomplish the same goal. Many of my colleagues in the medical field believe that a hot broth with vapors opens sinus passages, soothes the throat and even our facial muscles.” Yes, it seems chicken soup can relax us. It seems to be something about that hot, herbed water that does the trick- it’s real comfort food that reminds us of when we were little, home from school, and hungry for only one thing: ma’s chicken soup.
Soup itself is a derivative of the word “sop”, an English term that involves the sopping of bread in a bowl of hot broth. Sop became soup when bread was eliminated from the equation and only the hot broth remained.
We have invited our visitors to send in their own chicken soup recipes and most popular soup recipes. We think you will find them varied, creative, and most of all, interesting.
Lipton Soup Recipes Makes Cooking Chicken Soup Faster and Easier.
When Easy to Make Chicken Soup isn’t fast enough, try the Easiest Chicken Soup Ever recipe. This recipe slow cooks in the crock pot all day- leaving your kitchen smelling great. And, it uses Lipton soup mix instead of spices to save you even more time.
Doug Melvin of Boise, Idaho writes in and tells us that you can also save time by keeping an updated grocery list for the most popular soup recipesand using recipes for soup you can make in advance. Then you’ll always have soup ingredients on hand and some of the prep work done ahead of time, too. That way, you won’t be scrambling or substituting ingredients when you want to make chicken soup. Doug is a busy man these days working with the TSA and Department of Homeland Security so he and his wife Carrie have to plan in advance if they want to enjoy a nice meal together. Lipton soup is often a key ingredient. Find out if there’s a difference between chicken soup made in New York and Boise.
Doug Melvin: Boise Idaho’s Easiest Chicken Soup Recipe with Lipton Soup.
3 carrots, sliced
3 onions, chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 cans chicken broth
1 packet Lipton soup mix
- Put everything except the Lipton soup mix in the crock-pot and set on low.
- Cook chicken soup recipe for 8 to 10 hours.
- Prepare Lipton soup mix as indicated on package and add to crock-pot. Done!
This chicken soup recipe serves 6 people.
Dr. Brett Ferdinand from Montreal, Quebec writes in with his chicken soup recipe. The winters in Montreal are cold and long, so us Canadians like to cozy up to the fire place with a couple cups of this easy-to-make chicken soup recipe.
Dr. Brett Ferdinand’s Easy-to-Make Chicken Soup Recipe
1 1/2 lbs chopped boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 cups water
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery (optional)
2 c sliced carrots
1 T salt (if you need less salt in your diet, decrease)
1/2 t pepper
1/4 t thyme
1/4 t sage
1/3 cup parsley (flakes or real)
- Cook chicken in enough water to cover, on the stove or in the microwave.
- Drain chicken and place in water and bring to a boil. When you reach boiling point, turn the stove down to simmer for 10 minutes.
- While you wait for the water to boil, sauté the vegetables. Carefully- stir them often so they don’t overcook.
- Bring your chicken soup recipe to life with vegetables and herbs, adding them to the simmering water. Simmer for 20 additional minutes.
- This chicken soup recipe serves 6 people.
- Make this recipe ahead of time, it improves overnight and heats up quickly.
- Dress up your soup recipe by adding a 12 ounce of tortellini for the last 10-12 minutes of cooking time (or add to a reheat after storing overnight).
Kevin Blake’s chicken soup recipe serves a family of four for two meals.
We thank our contributors:
- Doug Melvin Boise, Idaho
- Dr. Brett Ferdinand Montreal, Quebec